Smart plug allows you to control power to all the devices plugged into it. It gives you peace of mind and makes your home more secure. It can turn your devices on and off remotely, giving the impression that someone is home even when you're away.
This can be a powerful deterrent to potential burglars, who often look for empty homes. This article will discuss everything about a smart plug, such as how it works and how it increases your home security. So, let's dive into the details!
- What Does a Smart Plug Do?
- Are Smart Plugs Safe?
- How Smart Plugs Work for Security and Safety?
- Best Smart Plug Options for Your Home
- How to Combine Smart Plugs with Home Security Systems?
A smart plug is a smart device that plugs into a standard electrical outlet and lets you control the power supply to any device plugged into it. It connects to your home's Wi-Fi network and can be controlled via a mobile app or voice assistants like Alexa, Google Assistant, or Siri. They are essential to a smart home because they enable you to remotely control your appliances and devices.
When you plug an appliance or device into a smart plug, you can turn it on or off remotely. You can also set a schedule for it to turn on or off or even control it with your voice when busy. With these features, smart plugs can help you save money on your energy bills, automate your home appliances, and make your life more convenient.
A smart plug offers a handful of benefits to users, including convenience, security, energy-saving, and more. That's why more and more people are installing smart plugs in their homes. According to Emergen Research, the global smart plug market is expected to reach $72.62 billion by 2028. However, despite the advantages a smart plug offers, many people are concerned about whether they are safe.
Although all the available smart plugs in the market exceed the minimum safety requirements and pose no fire risk. There are still a few factors that you should consider to ensure proper safety. Let's discuss them!
1. Electrical Safety
Smart plugs are designed to handle the same amount of electrical load as regular electrical outlets. However, always remember a few things to ensure electrical safety when using a smart plug. First, it is important to ensure that the smart plug is rated for the electrical load of your device. If the device draws too much power, it can overload the smart plug and create a fire hazard.
Always check the manufacturer's specifications and ratings before using a smart plug. Second, make sure the smart plug is properly installed. Improper installation can lead to electrical shorts or sparks, which can be dangerous. If you are unsure about how to install a smart plug, it is best to consult a professional electrician.
2. Fire Hazard
Smart plugs can also pose a fire hazard if they are used improperly or if they malfunction. To minimize the fire risk, using smart plugs certified by a reputable organization like UL or ETL is important. These organizations test electrical products for safety and provide certification if they meet their standards.
Another concern with smart plugs is cybersecurity. Since smart plugs are connected to the internet, they can be vulnerable to hacking and other cyber threats. This is especially concerning if you use a smart plug to control sensitive devices like home security systems. To mitigate the risk of cybersecurity threats, it is important to choose a reputable brand of smart plug and keep the software up to date.
Many people turn towards a smart plug because it offers excellent security and safety to your home. Here are the different examples that show you how a smart plug works for your home's security and safety:
- Prevent electrical fires: Smart plugs can detect power surges and automatically shut off power to prevent overheating and electrical fires. This feature can be especially helpful for appliances that tend to overheat, such as space heaters.
- Avoid accidental shocks: A smart plug provides an added layer of safety by shutting off power to an outlet when it detects a short circuit or electrical overload, thus avoiding accidental electric shocks.
- Deter burglars: A smart plug turns lights or other devices on and off, making it appear like someone is home. This can deter burglars who may monitor your home for signs of occupancy.
- Monitor power usage: Smart plugs can help you track how much energy your devices use, allowing you to identify any energy-hogging appliances and adjust their usage.
- Create a safe environment for children and pets: You can use smart plugs to turn off appliances or devices that could be dangerous for children or pets. These include hot appliances such as heaters, power tools, or entertainment systems.
Now that you know the safety and security a smart plug offers, let's discuss some top smart plug options. You can select the one that suits your interests and enjoy home automation and security.
1. EVVR Smart Energy Monitor Plug and Relay
The EVVR Smart Energy Monitor Plug and Relay is a leading smart plug due to its excellent security and functionality. The product is compatible with Homekit, enabling easy control from Apple devices anytime and anywhere. Additionally, the product's convenience is further enhanced by the ability to manage it using voice commands via Siri. It's very small in size and easily gets into your electrical outlet. The plug can easily accommodate current up to 16 amps.
Not only this, but its magnetic retention relay consumes 90% less energy than other similar products, reducing vampire draw and protecting the environment. It offers a convenient way to connect both new and outdated appliances, providing them with a new lease on life. Connect it with any 2-core or 3-core cable and get full control over all the connected appliances.
- Comes with thermal and overload protection that prevents fire hazards and keeps children safe.
- Connects with 2-core and 3-core cables to control multiple devices easily.
- Has a magnetic retention relay that consumes 90% less energy and doesn't allow vampire draw.
- Very easy to set up and had a small and compact design.
- Carefully monitor your energy consumption behavior and suggest you take steps towards energy saving.
- It's Homekit compatible and can be easily controlled via Siri voice commands and Evvr App.
2. Wyze Smart Plug
Wyze smart plug is another fantastic product that ensures your home security and safety. It can carry current up to 15 amps and is compatible with Google Assistant. So, you can give voice commands from anywhere at any time and manage all your appliances hassle-free.
You can also integrate this plug with all your other Wyze devices and be in charge of all of them via the Wyze smartphone app. The Wyze plug panel has an on/off button, and if you tap the panel, you'll see a timer and vacation mode button.
- Compatible with Google Assistant & Amazon Alexa, so you can manage all the devices easily.
- Offers integration with other Wyze devices, and you can control all of them via the Wyze app.
- It can easily carry current up to 15 amps.
Combining a smart plug with a home security system can greatly enhance your home's security and control over your connected devices. Here are a few steps you can follow to integrate smart plugs with your home security system:
Step 1: Select Compatible Smart Plugs
Before you integrate your smart plugs with your home security system, ensure your smart plugs are compatible with the security system you have in place. Evvr Smart Energy Monitor Plug and Relay are the best due to their enhanced functionality. It's Homekit compatible, so you can easily combine it with your home security system and control everything remotely.
Step 2: Connect Smart Plugs to Your Home Network
Once you have selected compatible smart plugs, connect them to your home network. This can typically be done through a smartphone app or a web interface. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer to connect your smart plugs to your home Wi-Fi network.
Step 3: Set up your home security system
If you've not set up your home security system, you must do it first. You must have a central control panel and smart sensors, such as motion sensors, door and window sensors, and security cameras, installed throughout your home.
Step 4: Link smart plugs to the home security system
Most home security systems have a feature that allows you to link your smart plugs to your security system. Check the manufacturer's instructions to see if this feature is available for your system. This link lets you control your security system directly via a smart plug, giving you greater control over your home's energy consumption.
Step 5: Monitor your home security system and smart plugs
Now, you can easily keep an eye on your home's security system and control it through the smart plug. You'll be notified on your smartphone via the smart plug app whenever there's some suspicious activity. You can also adjust your automation rules to improve your home's energy efficiency and security.
A smart plug can allow you to take a step towards home automation and provide exceptional security. You can connect the smart plug to your home security system and have peace of mind.
The EVVR Energy Monitoring Smart Plug and Relay is the best in this regard, as it perfectly combines with your home security system. Moreover, you also get updates about your energy usage and can manage all your appliances remotely. EVVR also offers other smart home products, such as the EVVR In-Wall Relay Switch, EVVR Hub, and more. Grab your favorite from us now!