Picture a crisp winter evening; the temperature outside is plummeting, and your central heating struggles to keep up with the bone-chilling cold. In such scenarios, energy efficient space heaters emerge as saviors, providing a targeted and economical solution to keep you warm and snug.
They offer a cost-effective means of maintaining comfort as they consume minimum energy for operation. In addition, they boast the added advantage of cost savings and less environmental impact, making them a smart and eco-friendly choice for staying warm.
Continue reading to learn more about an energy efficient space heater, its energy consumption, and more!
- What is a Space Heater?
- Energy Consumption of Space Heaters
- Are Space Heaters Safe?
- Space Heaters vs Central Heat Cost
- How Do You Turn Your Space Heaters Into Energy Efficient Space Heaters?
- Use EVVR Energy Monitoring Smart Plug and Relay
- Centralize Control with EVVR Center Lite
Space heaters are portable electric appliances that provide localized heating in specific areas or rooms. In contrast to central heating systems that supply heat to multiple areas, energy-efficient space heaters provide targeted heat. They are a convenient and energy-efficient way to increase the temperature in a particular space.
Space heaters come in various types:
- Convection Heaters: Distribute warmth by circulating air.
- Radiant Heaters: Provide direct heat through infrared radiation.
- Ceramic Heaters: Use ceramic elements and a fan for even heating.
- Oil-Filled Heaters: Utilize heated oil for consistent warmth.
Energy efficient space heaters generally consume less heat than traditional ones. The overview of the electricity traditional space heaters consume, and their cost compared to energy efficient space heaters is given as follows:
How Much Electricity Does a Space Heater Use?
Traditionally, space heaters consume 1,500 watts (W) of electrical power, the specific amount varying based on the model. Regarding current requirements, most space heaters operate on around 15 amps and are compatible with standard 120-volt outlets.
This standardized connection makes them convenient for use in various residential settings. Keep in mind that the total energy consumed by a space heater depends upon the number of hours you run it.
For a better understanding, look at the table below:
Space Heater Wattage
Length Of Time Powered
KWh Of Electricity Used
How Much Does It Cost to Run a Space Heater?
A 1,500-watt space heater that runs for an hour typically incurs a cost of around $0.20. This may seem economical, but the overall expense depends on the usage duration and frequency.
Here's an example that helps you better understand the cost you may incur for running a space heater:
If the heater runs for 8 hours daily in a basement home office, the daily cost would be $1.60. Extrapolating this over an average of 21 workdays in a month, you could anticipate adding approximately $33.60 to your monthly electric bill due to the space heater usage.
Space heaters are a great option to warm a specific area in your home. They are generally safe; however, there are downsides if you don't operate them safely.
They may make you more uncomfortable than cozy or can be a fire hazard. It's also proven by this statistic: space heaters are responsible for around 17,000 fires per year in the US.
Here are a few tips that you can follow to ensure the safe operation of your space heater:
- Establish a 3-foot kid- and pet-free zone around the heater, avoiding placement in a child's room.
- Turn off the space heater before leaving the room or going to bed.
- Keep a minimum distance of 3 feet from combustible materials like furniture, bedding, and curtains.
- Don't plug the space heater and other heavy appliances in the same outlet, as it may cause a fire.
Here's an overview of the cost comparison of space heaters vs central heating:
- Space heaters are typically more affordable in terms of initial purchase and installation. They offer a cost-effective solution, especially for targeted heating needs in specific rooms or areas, requiring less infrastructure and setup.
- Central heating systems entail a higher upfront cost due to installing a complex network of heating units, ducts, and controls throughout the home. The initial investment includes purchasing and installing a central heating unit and the necessary distribution infrastructure.
- Operational costs of space heaters tend to be higher than central heating due to various factors. These include less efficiency, individual thermostat control for each unit, and the potential for continuous use in specific areas.
- Central heating systems often prove more economical in the long run because they distribute warmth efficiently throughout the home. They have a centralized nature, which allows for better energy utilization and management. Hence, they result in lower day-to-day operational costs than using multiple space heaters to heat individual rooms.
Here are a few tips you can follow to turn your traditional space heaters into energy efficient space heaters:
Buy an Energy Star Rated Model
First and foremost, selecting space heater models with the Energy Star certification is a prudent choice. Energy Star-rated heaters adhere to stringent energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency. These models consume less power and often incorporate advanced technologies and features that contribute to optimal energy utilization.
Lower Furnace Temperature
Another tip to turn your space heater into an energy efficient space heater is to set your home heating furnace to a lower temperature, around 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, use the space heater for targeted warmth in specific areas, optimizing energy use.
Over time, dust can accumulate on the heater's internal components, hindering its performance. Therefore, regular cleaning, including removing dust from the heating elements, vents, and filters. This allows the heater to operate smoothly and efficiently. It'll heat more effectively and consume less energy, becoming an energy efficient space heater and resulting in energy savings.
Utilize Smart Plug
Integrating a smart plug into your space heater setup introduces an additional layer of energy efficiency. Smart plugs enable you to schedule and automate the operation of your space heater. You can ensure the heater operates only when necessary by programming specific operating times and using features like temperature-based triggers. This ensures your heater operates only when necessary and becomes an energy efficient space heater.
An easy way to make your heater an energy efficient space heater is to use a smart plug. The best smart plug for this purpose is:
The EVVR Energy Monitoring Smart Plug and Relay is the key to making your space heater energy-efficient. With 99% accuracy, track the hourly energy consumption of your plug-in device and predict power usage via the EVVR App, optimizing energy efficiency. The Magnetic Retention Relay sets this device apart, providing stable device status while consuming 90% less working energy (0.5-1W) than other products.
Carrying currents up to 16 Amps, it is compatible with high-power appliances, significantly reducing the risk of electrical fires. The compact design and 90-degree angle extension cord optimizes space, increasing the manageability of hard-to-reach outlets. You can turn lights and appliances on/off through HomeKit, EVVR App, or the built-in button. Set up automation scenes, remotely control your appliances, or employ wireless Siri voice commands with a HomeKit hub.
The EVVR Center Lite stands out as the ultimate solution for managing and controlling your energy efficient space heaters and many other smart devices. It connects seamlessly with your home control hub through Zigbee 3.0, Z-Wave Plus, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth (designed for future Matter compatibility). Security is paramount, and EVVR takes it to the next level. It offers enterprise-level data encryption facilitated through a P2P network connection.
Your data undergoes real-time processing and local storage, eliminating reliance on cloud storage or external access. This commitment to privacy ensures a superior level of smart home security. What sets EVVR smart home hub apart is its user-friendly interface and robust software technology. Scaling up for larger spaces is effortless with EVVR. Add more EVVR controllers as bridges to expand your network and create a star network configuration. This feature particularly benefits larger or commercial spaces, offering centralized control from one hub.
- Zigbee 3.0, Z-Wave Plus, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth compatibility
- Enterprise-level data encryption for privacy
- User-friendly EVVR Console with drag-and-drop automation
- Seamless integration with smart home accessories
- Scalable star network with additional controllers
An energy efficient space heater consumes way less energy than a traditional one and keeps you warm. You can easily make your typical space heaters energy efficient using a smart plug or tending to clean it regularly. If you are searching for the best smart plug to make your space heater an energy efficient space heater, EVVR is your one-stop shop.
We offer the best smart plugs like the EVVR Energy Monitoring Smart Plug and Relay and other smart home products that take your home automation experience to the next level. Get in touch with us today and welcome convenience and efficiency in your home.