Lighting is essential to any space: It brightens a hallway and highlights a painting. Because of that, smart light switches are central to any smart home automation system. They also add a layer of control over your environment that is integral to smart living. HomeKit is a popular smart home platform for Apple enthusiasts that want home automation compatible with their iPhone or iPad or Apple TV.
You have your choice from a dizzying array of Apple HomeKit-enabled smart switches — Philips Hue, Brilliant Smart Home Control, Lutron and Evvr. Let’s focus on what makes the best HomeKit light switch to personalize your home, office or other space.
- Advantages of a HomeKit-enabled smart light switch
- When you need a smart light
- Make any space better with the best smart HomeKit light switch
Advantages of a HomeKit-enabled smart light switch
HomeKit light switch technology empowers you to automate lighting and set scenes from the Home App. A smart light has several advantages over a traditional or analogue light.
- Create mood lighting with a single touch.
- Command your smart dimmer switch.
- Turn up a group of lights for added security.
- Save energy by turning off unnecessary lights.
- Automatically turn on entry and property lights at night.
Personalizing lighting for routines, special events, energy efficiency and safety is only possible with a smart switch.
What is a smart light switch?
An analogue light switch’s functions include on, off or dim. By comparison, smart switch technology customizes lighting for a sophisticated level of functionality that you can control with HomeKit.
You can control a smart switch several ways:
Depending on the manufacturer, a smart light switch communicates with your smart home ecosystem using WiFi, Bluetooth, ZigBee or Z-wave protocols. HomeKit uses a proprietary Home Application Protocol for communication and supports Bluetooth LE (BLE) and TCP/IP (Wireless) connections.
In-wall light switch
The two most common types of smart light switches are in-Wall and on-Wall. An in-wall smart switch replaces a traditional light switch and is electrically wired. Conversely, the one-wall smart switch can be placed anywhere and is battery-powered.
The advantage of an homekit light switch is that you need not worry about replacing batteries. However, wired switches do require installation and some in-wall models call for a neutral wire and ground wire to prevent shock or fires. Alternatively, an on-wall light switch offers a wireless solution for those who'd prefer not to worry about wires at all. Some manufacturers provide long-lasting batteries for on-wall smart switches.
The process of installing a HomeKit-enabled in-wall switch is nearly the same as a traditional switch and requires minimal equipment to accomplish. However, working with electrical wiring can be dangerous. If preferred, hire a home integration specialist to install the in-wall smart switch. Once installed, use the Home App to connect and start setting scenes.
When you need a smart light
Smart lighting has an almost unending number of uses for different people.
- Guests: Greet visitors with warm and inviting lighting at the entrance or in the guest rooms.
- Contractors: Motion sensors can detect movement in utility rooms, basements, garages and other less-often visited areas of your home or office.
- Movement-impaired: Voice commands can darken a room before watching a movie or brighten a hallway, making it easier to use any space for people with mobility issues.
- Children: A smart dimmer switch will turn down light enough for a nap and up enough for safe reading at night.
Smart home control enables users to program lighting in specific rooms for added comfort and security. How does smart lighting work?
The differences between a smart plug, smart light bulb and smart switch
Smart light switch, bulb, or plug – what to choose? Smart lighting is achieved by connecting various smart devices and coordinating their functions, but many people wonder what devices they actually need to achieve this level of convenience.
For ambiance, a HomeKit-compatible light switch is the simplest answer. With in-wall smart switches, any light bulb becomes “smart.” However, for more personalisation, Philips Hue Smart Lights or other smart bulbs can produce better results.
More than light, a smart bulb comes in many shapes and sizes. For example, the HomeKit-compatible Nanoleaf offers a smart bulb or light strip that mounts on different surfaces. A smart light can change in intensity and hue for the ultimate ambience. They can even control the level of brightness according to changes in sunlight values throughout the day. However, a smart bulb needs to be on all the time, and they can flicker, strobe or buzz when controlled by a smart dimmer switch.
A smart plug will turn any lamp (or multiple) into a smart light. Typically, they’re compact enough to stack one over the other in any two-socket or four-socket outlet. This portability is ideal for renters. Smart plugs can also connect to your smart home ecosystem through WiFi but may require a bridge to communicate with ZigBee or Z-wave mesh networks. Additionally, they cannot control hardwired lighting sources such as ceiling fans or sconces.
Both the smart plug and smart bulb are limited solutions. For truly personalized lighting, you need a smart switch.
Features of the best smart light switch to consider
Several smart light switch brands are HomeKit-enabled. So, what features should you look for in a smart switch?
- In-wall or wired for functionality beyond lighting sources, such as the Brilliant Smart Home Control LCD screen with touchscreen control and a less intrusive Evvr In-Wall Relay Smart Switch.
- No-neutral wire required enables easy installation into most homes, and eliminates the need for batteries.
- Multiple protocols for seamless integration with your HomeKit ecosystem — no need for another piece of equipment (a gateway hub) and reliability without WiFi.
- Compact design that can replace any traditional assembly and gang box.
- Faceplate colors that match any decor, such as GE Enbrighten or, disappear behind the wall panel of your choice, like the Evvr In-Wall Relay Switch.
- Responds to Siri or is voice-enabled.
- Manual control in the event of a power failure or loss of internet connection.
- 3-way control enables dimming or switching on and off a light from four different sources.
Make any space better with the best smart HomeKit light switch
For its local, reliable, private and secure design, the best smart HomeKit light switch is the Evvr HomeKit In-Wall Relay Switch. This HomeKit-compatible light switch was designed to overcome many common limitations.
The Evvr HomeKit smart light switch will fit in any electrical box and support up to 4-gang panel switches and a wide range of panels (i.e. momentary push, toggle push and smart remote buttons).
The Evvr In-Wall Relay Switch doesn’t require a neutral wire or have a minimum workload to operate LED, incandescent, halogen and fluorescent light bulbs. With the Evvr HomeKit In-Wall Relay Switch, you won’t experience light flickering, buzzing or flashes with smart bulbs.
With Evvr, Installation is simple and no extra bridge is required. You can connect the Evvr HomeKit Light Switch to your Homekit device – HomePod, HomePod Mini or Apple TV — directly.
Evvr’s smart light switch is hardwired to enable control over any light from up to 6 different locations. You can rely on smart features – voice control, scenes and remote control — because power stays on with the Smart Relay design.
For lighting control and a whole lot more, consider the HomeKit enabled Evvr In-Wall Relay Switch by Evvr.io. Contact us for a sample or to enquire about its universal usage.