Surge protectors are great if you want to add extra outlets to your home or are looking for something to protect your computer or lighting equipment. However, not all surge protectors are high-quality, and sometimes a power strip may release harmful power surges. Resultantly, your expensive electronic devices get damaged, causing the loss of hundreds and thousands of bucks.
So, to ensure you don't fall victim to the same situation, it's essential to buy the best surge protector. Multiple surge protectors are available in the market, which may confuse you, but not anymore! To help you get the safest surge protector, we have listed everything: the best surge protector options, their features, and the factors to consider before buying one! So, let's dig further!
- What Makes a Good Surge Protector?
- Best Surge Protector for 2023
- Buying Guide - What Size Surge Protector Do I Need?
Typically, a surge protector is a device that safeguards your electronic equipment from unexpected power surges and spikes. Whenever the coming current increases from 120 Voltage, it quickly connects to the ground voltage. Hence, the excess current gets blocked or diverted, protecting your devices well. Here are the prominent parts of a standard surge protector:
- Iron Core Transformer: It quickly transforms the alternating current.
- Metal Oxide Varistor: Limits the voltage from exceeding requirements.
- Zener Diode: Prevents your devices from power fluctuation.
The surge protector market is quickly growing and is expected to reach $4.27 billion by 2028. A good surge protector is a need in almost every home because electrical accidents are unexpected and can cause severe damage. However, with the best surge protector, you don't have to worry about sudden voltage fluctuations damaging your electronics.
If the variety of surge protectors in the market makes the selection process a hassle, consider the below-given options. All the surge protectors discussed below are high-quality, and you can choose the one that best suits your needs.
1. Evvr Energy Monitoring Smart Plug and Relay
The first and the best surge protector on our list is this Evvr Energy Monitoring Smart Plug and Relay. This protector is Homekit compatible and gives all your old and new gadgets a smart life.
You can operate it with any Apple device and automate all the connected devices from anywhere, anytime. Moreover, this Evvr Energy Monitoring Smart Plug and Relay works well with 2-core or 3-core cables and can carry current up to 16 amps, which isn't available in every surge protector. It doesn't make significant carbon emissions; hence the environment stays safe!
There's strong thermal and overload protection that prevents sudden electrical shocks and keeps your children safe from dismantling accidents. What's the best part? It consumes way less energy than a typical surge protector and can be controlled via Siri, making your life easier!
- Has a split-type design that allows you to access the hidden wall outlets and increases overall energy efficiency.
- Features a shell tamper-proof design to prevent any electrical accidents.
- The energy monitor in it helps manage and control overall appliances and their usage.
- Comes with a magnetic retention relay that consumes 90% less energy than standard products.
- Perfect for DIY enthusiasts due to easy setup and installation
2. APC Performance Surge Arrest 12
The next best surge protector is this APC Performance Surge Arrest 12, which offers around 4230 Joules of protection. It features almost 12 electrical plugs and two USB ports that allow you to connect multiple devices easily. As the overall structure of this surge protector is slim and compact, you can easily hide it behind your television or gaming equipment.
There's a built-in-fail-safe mode that quickly turns off the system as soon as internal damage is detected. Hence, your overall system stays safe from fire surges! The distinctive feature of this surge protector for gaming PC is that it has a beautiful green light that makes it easy to find in dark places.
- Feature 12 plugs and two USB ports for connecting multiple devices at once.
- Has a compact and thin design that quickly hides behind gaming equipment and TV.
- A built-in fail-safe mode turns the protector off as soon as some internal damage is detected.
- Backed with a 2-year warranty, but don't plug in any heavy electrical drive.
3. Acell Power Air Surge Protector
If you need a surge protector that supports light-power devices and easily fits on a nightstand, this Acell Power is the best choice. With this surge protector, you get six power outlets and two USB ports that are enough to power your tabs, phones, etc. The overall structure of the Acell Power is round, and it looks smaller than a dinner plate. Moreover, the circular shape of this power strip makes it compatible with almost all types of switches.
The six-foot cord isn't very long compared to other best surge protectors but is handy for outdoor lighting and electronics. One downside of this surge protector is that it has a low joule rating, which means it's not safer than the above two. However, it's a good and budget-friendly option that perfectly caters to your small needs.
- It can only withstand around 1080 Joules, so it can easily support small electronic devices.
- It has a six feet cord that proves to be handy in outdoor events.
- Comes with six outlets and two USB ports
- It features a circular design and is a budget-friendly option for many.
4. TP-Link Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Power Strip
For anyone who wants a subtle, slim, and best surge protector, the TP-Link Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Power Strip is a great option! It works perfectly with Alexa and Google Assistant, and its compatibility with Wi-Fi makes it a must-to-have product. Six outlets make all your devices smart and help you create an automated home. Download a smart app and manage all the connected devices either with a few taps or through voice commands.
The best part about this TP Links Kasa Smart best surge protector is that it features an away mode. The away mode detects your presence and automatically turns on the connected devices, saving you from this hassle. Looking at the features it has to offer, this best surge protector is an excellent value for your money.
- Features six AC outlets that make your devices smart and can be utilized to program complex schedules.
- Compatible with Wi-Fi, paving the way for home automation.
- Works with Google Assistant and Alexa so that you can give voice commands.
5. Charg 3inl Surge Protector
Last but not least is the best surge protector introduced by Charg, featuring almost all power protection features in a single power strip. Additionally, the best part about this surge protector is that if you feel like the outer layer is wearing out, you can simply buy a new cartridge.
Hence, unlike other power strips, you don't have to throw this one in the garbage when worn out. The overall design of this protector is class and comes with a long cord, which means with it, you can arrange all outdoor events easily! However, one downside of this product is that it doesn't feature all types of switches.
- Comes with a replaceable surge protection cartridge, so there is no need to throw it when it looks worn.
- There's a USB port and AC jack that makes desktop mounting easier.
- Very long and durable cord, perfect for accommodating all types of outdoor lighting.
If you are confused about what things you should look for in the best surge protector, we’ve got you covered. The following are the things that can help you in your final decision:
1. Number of Outlets
One of the most important considerations while buying the best smart surge protector is the number of outlets it provides. For instance, if you plan to run your gaming and entertainment system, you should go with a strip that can connect all the devices simultaneously while leaving behind some empty outlets.
However, if the primary need is to run a few home appliances, then a surge protector with a few outlets can do the job. Although it's good to go with a strip with a handful of outlets, it mostly depends on your needs.
Next comes the amount of connections a surge protector has to offer. As surge protector carries a tremendous amount of current, it's essential to know their safe connections limit. This saves you from ending up with a damaged device or overloading the protector with plenty of connections.
You should also consider the features that a surge protector comes with. For instance, check whether the surge protector is a smart or a standard one. If you are a home automation enthusiast, then going with a smart surge protector is the ideal decision. However, if you don't like complex operations or settings, a simple surge protector is suitable.
With the best surge protector, you can solve many of your power-related issues. However, before buying a surge protector, you should consider different factors like size, connection limit, number of outlets, etc. Although there are various options available, the Evvr Energy Monitoring Smart Plug and Relay is the best surge protector.
It offers several features, including Homekit compatibility, connection with 2-core or 3-core cables, environment-friendly working, etc. Not only this, but Evvr has many other home automation devices, such as the Evvr in-wall relay switch, Evvr Pad S, Evvr Hub, etc. You should definitely buy from us to have the most fantastic home automation experience!