There are few electrical outlets in many houses, especially older ones. This may be extremely difficult with all your electronics and appliances that demand a direct power source. What is the remedy? Most would advise using a power strip. A power strip is a clever way to supply electricity to various home appliances, but it can only be used for some things.
However, supplying electricity to electrical gadgets with extension cables is popular and practical. On the other side, if not handled properly, they might cause fires and endanger your safety.
In this blog, we will cover what a power extender is, how to safely use a power extender using the Evvr Energy Monitoring Smart Plug, and some of the best power extensions in the market.
- What Is A Power Extender?
- How To Safely Extend A Power Cable?
- Extending Power Cables
- Word of Caution
- Top Power Extenders In 2023
A power strip is a group of electrical sockets connected by a flexible cable that allows you to charge many electrical devices from a single electrical outlet (usually with a mains plug). Power strips can be helpful in various situations, including music, video, computers, appliances, power tools, and lighting. If a power strip is overloaded or shorted, a circuit breaker may stop the flow of electricity. Surge protectors for power strips are available to defend against electrical power surges.
Safety & Preparation
As indicated, you must prioritize your safety to complete this assignment effectively. Therefore, you must turn off your energy grid to prevent unwanted issues. You can adjust your home's power system in this manner while remaining as protected as possible. Obtaining the essential tools to complete this activity as effectively as feasible after this phase.
The following tools should be used when preparing to lengthen an electrical cable for domestic use: screwdrivers of various shapes and sizes, electrical cords, of course, an insulating material, soldering material such as paste, tin, or in uncommon cases, even the electric welder, plugs whether male or female and finally the strip connector, a unique tool frequently used in the field of electronics.
Naturally, it is essential to keep in mind that not all cables can be extended without the help of experts before moving on with this task.
The task is split into two halves at this point. There are two options: either use the cable extension or the strip connector or complete the work without them. Of course, your needs and the cable's length will influence your decision. Therefore, both potential scenarios require a thorough analysis of the procedure:
With A Strip Connector or A Cable Extender
You must remove the protective sheath from the cable you want to lengthen if you require a strip connection or a cable extension. It is necessary to remove the sheath for around 1 cm. You can use a meter if you need clarification on the length or have doubts.
By tightening the necessary screws with the appropriate screwdrivers that you have predetermined, you can connect the exposed wires to the enormous. After this procedure is finished, everything needs to be welded using the paste and, if you want to do a more straightforward job, the electric welder.
If you utilize the cable extension, incorporate it with Evvr Energy Monitoring Smart Plug and Relay. Of course, it will only help a little with the extension, but it can provide efficiency and security through remote control via your smartphone application.
Without A Strip Connector/ Extender
Although minor modifications exist, the operation is identical with or without the strip connector or cable extension. The protection of the cables that need to be connected must first be removed. The cables' ends are twisted at this point. After this section, you must go on to soldering.
Always use a tin or soldering iron to conduct the welding naturally. The alteration is finished at this point. The recommendation is to use an external power source first, then reinstall the changed cable in the electrical system. This helps to prevent short circuits or other issues brought on by the alteration.
As if that weren't enough, the correct level of cable tension can also be measured using an external power source. The last step is to attach everything to the plug.
This alteration is relatively simple to complete if done with the proper caution. However, there are potential hazards that should not be ignored. First, it is advised to speak with a specialist in the industry if you are unfamiliar with this type of work. Doing this can stop the harm that might blow your power supply system. Additionally, you must be aware of any laws that may be in force regarding cable alterations. To prevent breaking the rules, it is preferable to refrain from making modifications if these are not allowed. The wires' protective covering must be removed with extreme caution since if you don't know what you're doing, you could cause short circuits during the subsequent welding.
In this section, let us go through some of the best power extender options in the form of power strips. Mostly, they are built for in-house domestic use, and now they are coming with many smart IoT features.
Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip HS300
- Easily manage electronics in your house, workplace, or small business by independently controlling six smart outlets and charging three devices with built-in USB ports.
- ETL-certified surge protection protects sensitive devices and appliances from abrupt power surges, which can occur during weather storms and result in catastrophic damage.
- Check on each gadget from your Kasa smart app to see how much energy it is using, and turn off any that are using excessive amounts.
- With the Kasa Smart app, connected devices can be managed from anywhere. You can remotely turn on your office and your Christmas lights from the app.
- Use Alexa, Google Assistant, or Microsoft Cortana to voice-command your smart plug from a distance.
Evvr Energy Monitoring Smart Plug and Relay
Evvr Energy Monitoring Smart Plug and Relay, which are HomeKit compatible, can operate "dumb" devices, connect both older and newer home gadgets, and give outdated appliances new and smart life. With Apple HomeKit, you can automate and control your appliances from anywhere at any time, use Siri voice commands as well. The Evvr App allows you to monitor power usage in real-time to save energy and money.
This home energy monitor can be used with 2-core and 3-core cable for home appliances and can carry currents up to 16 amps, allowing even older home appliances to be integrated into your HomeKit smart home. You may even have an appliance-specific home energy monitor with exciting application possibilities.
Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip KP303
- Support five appliances simultaneously with three separately controlled smart outlets and two USB ports constantly on. Perfect for powering electronics in the office and at home.
- Compatible with Google Assistant and Alexa. Use voice commands to operate plugged-in gadgets to free up your hands.
- ETL-certified surge protection protects sensitive appliances and gadgets from sudden power surges.
- To remotely control connected devices from your mobile device, use the simple Kasa smart app.
- To improve efficiency and reduce your electricity bill, set schedules or timers to turn specific outlets on or off at certain times.
- To start managing your devices, plug in your innovative power strip, download the Kasa Smart app (Android, iOS), and connect to WiFi.
TESSAN Smart Power Strip
- Compatible with Google Home and Alexa. For each socket, you can specify a name and use it independently. With the WIFI power strip, you may use simple voice commands to control plugged-in devices, like "Alexa, turn out the light."
- To connect, download the Smart Life APP and follow the instructions in the manual. The intelligent plug power strip allows you to control home appliances from any location at any time. Reminder: Only 2.4GHz Flat extension cords with smart plugs support scheduling home or office equipment. Ideal for devices like humidifiers, aquarium lights, and bedroom lamps. To conserve energy and lower your electricity bill, turn it on and off at certain times.
- Thanks to the two keyholes on the rear, you may place this clever extension cable in various locations, including workbenches, floor mounts, wall mounts, under counters, dorm rooms, garages, etc.
Amazon Basics Smart Plug Power Strip
- This is a simple upgrade from your standard power strip but one that integrates voice control with Alexa.
- Without difficulty, tinkering, or stress. Making a smart house simple for laypeople
- When you're away, program lights, fans, and appliances to switch on and off automatically or remotely.
- Start by connecting the power strip, launching the Alexa app, and speaking to Alexa.
- Includes two always-on USB ports and three individually controlled outlets. You may individually control each outlet using your voice or remote control. You can also establish groups in the Alexa app to group devices.
- Utilize the Alexa app to set up routines and schedules; 2.4GHz WiFi is required; it only functions with Alexa.
home Smart Power Strip
- Both Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa are compatible with smart power strips. It is secure and practical to use voice control. For those who find it difficult or inconvenient to use both hands to turn on or off the Alexa smart plugs manually. Only for 2.4GHz WiFi routers; no additional hub is required.
- A free app can control the smart outlet plug on your smartphone (iOS 8.0 or later; Android 4.4 or later). The Alexa power strip is controllable from anywhere at any time. Support only 2.4GHz WiFi networks. There is no subscription fee.
- The intelligent surge protector has three USB 3.0 charging connections with a maximum USB output of 3.1A. Your phone, tablet, and other USB devices can all be charged simultaneously.
- Using the Timer and Countdown functions, you can program electrical appliances to turn on and off while you are home or away in the same way as lamps, coffee makers, humidifiers, lights, etc. You can also reduce your electricity costs by shutting off power-hungry devices when they are not in use.
Partner Up With Evvr For A Truly Smart Home
Evvr is now the foremost choice of people looking to easily smartify their homes and workplaces. The company sports various products and services, from smart home hubs to smart switches, interfaces, and more. You can always be at ease that your home is safe and using power efficiently. Want to learn more about Evvr? Don't hesitate to contact us!