A typical power strip allows you to connect multiple devices to a power outlet and to provide power to far-away areas of your home. However, these ordinary power strips could be more energy efficient and may consume energy if standby mode products are plugged in. The most common examples of standby mode are printers, DVD players, computers, etc.
According to Bloomberg, standby products consume 5 to 10% of your home's energy. That's where a smart power strip comes in handy! These smart power strips automatically shut down power to products and gadgets in standby mode. If you want to know what is a smart power strip, its working mechanism, and its top options, we got you covered. Let's delve into the details!
- What is a Smart Power Strip?
- How Does a Smart Power Strip Work? Power Strips That Save Energy
- Best Power Strips (Indoor/Outdoor) in 2023
- Wrap-Up of What is a Smart Power Strip
Typically, a smart power strip provides you with all the comfort of an ordinary power strip, but you get more control over the power management of different devices. The most prominent features of a smart power strip are:
- Automatically turns off power for devices that go into standby mode.
- Comes with the ability to monitor the electrical outlets with appliances plugged in.
- Allows you to control the power of specific outlets.
- Some smart power strips provide a remote control feature that makes it easy to monitor the power of hard-to-reach devices.
After knowing what is a smart power strip, you might be wondering about its working mechanism.
To understand what is a smart power strip and how it works, you should first have fine knowledge about its basic components. Although multiple things make up a smart power strip, the primary components are the following:
- Electrical outlets
The circuitry monitors and controls the working of those electrical outlets. For instance, if a computer is connected to the smart power strip, its energy consumption drops. The circuitry notices thisa few smart power strips change and quickly shuts down the power to that outlet, saving energy.
All the other outlets keep working until any other outlet goes into standby mode. You may be surprised to know, but there are a few smart power strips that come with one or two always-powered outlets. These outlets are used for devices that need consistent power, such as your alarm system.
Are Power Strips Energy Efficient?
Some devices consume your home's energy even when they are shut down but plugged into power strips. This energy is known as vampire energy and costs you hundreds of dollars. A smart power strip is energy efficient as it prevents any device from getting vampire energy.
It shuts down the power to devices that are in standby mode and cut down your electricity usage to 20 to 48 percent.
Not only this, but with a smart power strip, you take a step towards creating a greener world as it's environment-friendly.
Smart Power strips are used indoors or outdoors, depending on their cord length and construction material. However, it's suggested not to use an indoor power strip for outdoor purposes as it poses a serious electrical risk. Here are the best power strip (indoor/outdoor) options that you should consider before buying any for your home:
1. EVVR Energy Monitoring Smart Plug and Relay
For all those asking what is a smart power strip with examples, the EVVR Energy Monitoring Smart Plug and Relay is the answer! This product is great for connecting all dumb devices and making them smart. It's Homekit compatible, which means you can remotely operate it through your Apple devices. Even if you are busy, the Siri voice command feature enables you to control all the connected devices anywhere, anytime.
You can easily use it with 2-core or 3-core cables, and it carries current up to 16 amps, which is more than many ordinary power strips. In addition, this energy-saving power strip's overload and thermal protection feature saves you from electrical fires and other accidents. The best part about this smart power strip is that it prevents power draws, allowing you to save money on your energy bills.
- Works perfectly with 2-core and 3-core cables to power home appliances
- It can easily carry around 16 amps of current
- Comes with thermal and overload protection to prevent sudden electrical accidents
- Checks your hourly energy consumption and tells you your overall power usage
- Compatible with Homekit and Siri to give you more control over connected devices
Introducing the EVVR Energy Monitoring Smart Plug – currently crowdfunding with an exclusive invitation for you to explore its features. Limited-Time Pre-Sale Alert! Get smart with EVVR Smart Plug at 15% to 35% off discounts!
2. Belkin Pivot Power Strip
How often have you faced the trouble of inserting large plugs in a smart power strip? As most electronics still come with huge charge bricks, connecting them to a standard power strip is frustrating. That's where a Belkin power strip helps you! It features eight large and four standard outlets to accommodate all your appliances.
The overall design and settings of this smart power strip are hassle-free. There are two different colored indicator lights: red and green. When the green light is on, it means your devices are secure. However, if there's red light, it shows the power strip is grounded. Moreover, this product comes with a power rating of 4320 joules that promises the longevity and efficiency of your equipment.
- Has 12 outlets, of which eight are to accommodate large plugs, and four have standard size
- Comes with an 8 feet cord that's long enough to connect far away devices
- The Power energy rating is 4320, which ensures the safety and longevity of your equipment
3. EIGSO Outdoor Power Strip
If you are planning an outdoor event and need something to power your appliances without getting damaged by sudden weather changes, EIGSO is the best option. This is the best outdoor power strip having a trio of three-prong outlets. The outer shell is made up of polycarbonate and has a black color that gives it a classy look.
There's also an emergency or safety shut-off switch with a red light indicator that keeps your devices protected from voltage drops. Additionally, this power strip features a 9.2 feet long cord and caters to all your far-away power needs. The best part about these power strips is their 1500 Joules power rating and children's safety features.
- Each outlet has internal doors that protect the power strip from weather changes and spillages
- Has a 1500 Joules of power rating, which is way more than many ordinary strips
- A rrio of three-prong outlets is there to accommodate different electronics
- The cord length is 9.2 feet, that's long enough to perform outdoor power tasks
4. Anker PowerExtend USB-C 3 Capsule Power Strip
For someone who wants a quick multiple-device charging spot along with a timeless design, the Anker PowerExtend is a great choice! There are three USB ports, of which two are A ports offering 15 W and one B port with 45 W. However, at once, all these USB ports only provide you with around 60 W of power. This product brings you more peace of mind through the surge protection feature and 300 Joules of power rating.
So, you don't have to worry about your devices getting damaged by voltage excess or drop. There's an indicator light that tells you when this power strip is on, off, grounded, or fighting against surges. What's the best part? Although this power strip seems small, it wraps a lot of safety features like fire resistance, thermal and overload protection, etc., to ensure safe operations.
- Comes with three outlets or USB ports to quickly charge your devices
- Has a six feet cord that's handy for indoor electronics connection
- Three USB ports provide around 60 W of power at once
- Features thermal control, overload protection, and fire resistance to ensure safety
5. BESTTEN Outdoor Power Strip
The BESTTEN Outdoor Power Strip is best for everyone who wants something to blend perfectly into their garden, along with powering electronics. This strip arrives in a three-part unit and needs proper assembly and setup before starting the work. The assembly procedure is very easy, just slide all three parts, and you are all set to go! If we look at the style, there are three outlets having a unique birdhouse shape.
Under the primary unit, there's a six-inch vertical pole and a six-inch ground stake. The cord length is 12 feet which makes the power supply easier for outdoor lighting or equipment. You also get an additional stake with the package in case you break the old one. Each outlet comes with a plastic covering that shuts off when an outlet isn't in use, promisingly great safety.
- Has a 12-foot power cord that makes it easy to connect various outdoor equipment
- Each outlet has a spring-loaded plastic cover that suits off when not in use
- The dark green color perfectly blends with your garden and doesn't look any different
Many people still ask what is a smart power strip and what the top options to choose from. All the above-mentioned power strips are great, but the EVVR Energy Monitoring Smart Plug and Relay takes the lead due to its excellent safety and environment-friendly features. Moreover, it offers you an energy graph sharing your energy usage and preventing vampire draw.
Hence, this smart power strip becomes the best energy-saving power strip. EVVR also features a handful of other smart products that automate everything in your home. The EVVR in-wall relay switch, EVVR Pad S, and EVVR Hub are the highlights. So, don't wait and get the most in-demand products from us now!